(415) 362-2906

Warren Logo-04

Business Immigration: Work Visas & Employment Green Cards

Work Visas and Employment Green Cards

Are you a professional who wants to work in California? Are you a software engineer or IT Executive? A California company looking to hire internationally? Warren Law Firm can help. 

For over 20 years, Warren Law Firm has been helping local companies obtain visas for talented international professionals, and helping talented professionals obtain their own work visas. Our San Francisco business immigration services may be able to help you, too.

What is a Work Visa in U.S. Immigration?

A work visa is a permit that allows a foreign national to work in the United States. There are several types of work visas, each with specific eligibility requirements. 

Work visas are typically valid for a specific period of time and allow the holder to engage employment only with the sponsoring employer.

Work visas are generally divided into two categories: nonimmigrant visas and immigrant visas. 

Nonimmigrant visas are typically issued to foreign nationals who wish to work in the United States on a temporary basis, while immigrant visas are issued to those who intend to live and work in the country permanently.

Who Can Apply for a Work Visa in the United States?

Generally, anyone who wants to work in the United States, but does not have another means of immigrating to the U.S. such as with familial relationships or asylum, will need to obtain a work visa. 

But not everyone is eligible. There are various work visas for various jobs, education levels and experience. 

If at first, you don’t believe you are eligible for any work visas, contact an immigration attorney and they can better explain your options.

Do You Need a Sponsor for a Work Visa?

In most cases, yes, you will need a sponsor for a work visa. A sponsor is typically an employer, but it could also be a school or other organization. 

The sponsor is the one who files the petition on your behalf with the US government. You will not need a sponsor if you are doing an investor visa.

Can You Petition the U.S. Government for Your Own Work Visa?

It is possible to petition the U.S. government for your own work visa, but it is generally more difficult to do so than it would be if you had a sponsor.

 If you are self-employed or otherwise do not have a sponsoring employer, you will need to demonstrate that you have some extraordinary skills or experience that make you an asset to the United States. 

You should consult with a San Francisco immigration attorney if you’re considering taking this route. You may also choose to make a substantial financial contribution to a U.S. company and get an investor visa without a sponsor.

Request A Consultation

Meet The Attorney

Angela D. Warren

With more than 20 years of immigration and business immigration experience, Angela Warren has helped hundreds of individuals, families and businesses.

Main Services

Lawyers of Distinction
Bar Association of California - Warren Law Firm (2)

Get The Immigration Help You Deserve

Common Types of Work Visas

Business Immigration Services - Warren Law Firm - San Francisco AttorneysWarren Law Firm works with people from all around the world to find the right work visa for their needs, including:

What is an Employment Green Card in the United States?

An employment green card in the United States is a work permit that allows an individual to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. The employment green card is also known as lawful permanent residence or a green card.

To be eligible for an employment green card, an individual must have a job offer from a U.S. employer and must be able to demonstrate that they are qualified for the position. The individual must also meet all of the other eligibility requirements for permanent residence in the United States. Once an individual has an Employment Green Card, they are able to apply for US citizenship after five years.

The process of obtaining an employment green card can be lengthy and complex, so it is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you are taking the necessary steps to obtain your green card.

What Are the Benefits of Having a U.S. Green Card?

A United States green card allows an individual to live and work permanently in the United States. Green card holders are also eligible for certain government benefits, such as Social Security and Medicare. In addition, green card holders can apply for U.S. citizenship after five years of continuous residency in the United States.

Get The Immigration Help You Deserve

How Do You Apply for an Employment Green Card in the United States?

Work Visas with Warren Law FirmYou cannot apply for your own employment green card in the United States except in limited circumstances (see the later section, “Investor Green Cards in the U.S.,” for more information).

The first step in applying for an employment green card is to have a petition filed on your behalf by your employer. The petition, Form I-140, is also known as the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. Once the petition is approved, you will need to go through consular processing or adjustment of status in order to obtain your green card.

Consular processing is the process of applying for a green card through a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. Adjustment of status is the process of applying for a green card from within the United States. If you are already in the United States on a valid visa, you may be able to adjust your status without having to leave the country.

Investor Green Cards in the United States

The United States offers a number of different types of green cards for investors. The most common type is the EB-5 program, which allows foreign nationals to invest a certain amount of money in a new U.S. business and create at least 10 full-time jobs for U.S. workers. Other types of investor green cards include the E-2 visa for treaty investors and the L-1 visa for intracompany transferees.

Usually, investors should work with attorneys when applying for these types of visas and green cards.

Common Questions About Business Immigration

Check out these common questions about business immigration in the United States. You’ll find answers for business owners who wish to hire foreign talent and answers for individuals who wish to come to the United States to work. If you don’t see the answer to your question here, please feel free to call our office to ask us directly.

My Company Wants to Hire Foreign Workers. Where Do We Start?

If your company is interested in hiring foreign workers, there are a few things you need to do in order to get started. First, you will need to obtain a certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) that indicates that your company is unable to find qualified U.S. workers for the positions you want to fill. After you have obtained this certification, you can then begin the process of recruiting foreign workers.

There are a few things to keep in mind when recruiting foreign workers. First, you will need to make sure that the workers you are interested in hiring meet all of the requirements for the position they are applying for. Additionally, you will need to ensure that the workers you hire will be able to obtain a visa to enter the United States. Finally, you will need to make sure that you are compliant with all of the laws and regulations surrounding the hiring of foreign workers. Your immigration attorney can help you every step of the way.

Do You Always Need a Sponsor for Business Immigration in the United States?

Business immigration to the United States requires sponsorship from a U.S. employer in most cases. There are a few exceptions, such as the EB-5 investor visa, which does not require sponsorship. However, for most other business visas, such as the H-1B visa, L-1 visa, and E visa, you will need an employer to sponsor your visa application.

Can You Adjust Your Status to Work in the U.S. if You’re Already in the Country?

If you are already in the United States on another type of visa, such as a student visa or tourist visa, you may be able to switch to a business visa without having to leave the country and reapply for a new visa. However, this is not always the case, so it is important to check with an immigration attorney before making any plans.

Do You Need a Business Visa Before You Come to the U.S. to Find a Job?

If you are outside of the United States but you wish to work here, you will need to obtain a business visa before you can enter the country. You can’t come to the U.S. on another type of visa with the intention of getting a job; that may constitute immigration fraud.

The process for doing this can be complicated, so it is important to have an experienced immigration attorney on your side to help you navigate the process.

Do You Need to Speak With an Attorney About Business Immigration?

Not sure what the best visa option is for you?  We can help. To start the process of obtaining a work visa or employment green card, contact Warren Law Firm to schedule a consultation.

You Deserve One Of Our Best Lawyers

with 20+ years of Immigration experience

Skip to content