(415) 362-2906

Warren Logo-04

B-1 Visa, B-2 Visa or Visitor Visas

B-1 Visa, B-2 Visa or Visitor Visas - Warren Law Firm

With 20 years of experience obtaining visitor visas like B-1 visas or B-2 visas, San Francisco immigration attorney Angela Warren works with people around the world to find the right visa solution for their needs. Our track record of success includes obtaining B-1 or B-2 visas for all types of people and circumstances, such as:

  • A Hungarian engineer
  • A Canadian businessman
  • A British scholar

A San Francisco immigration attorney like Angela Warren can be a great advantage for people who want to visit the San Francisco bay area or for people with business reasons to be in the San Francisco bay area.

About B-1 Visas or B-2 Visas (Visitor Visas)

The B-1 visa is also called a “Visitor for Business” visa and is available to those who are involved in commercial or professional business activities in the United States. The initial period of stay for a B-1 visa is 1 to 6 months (6 months maximum) with the possibility of an extension of stay. Some examples of these activities may be:

  • Negotiating a contract
  • Soliciting investment or sales
  • Participating in training
  • Traveling for a business convention, meetings or conference
  • Consulting with a business associate
  • Settling an estate
  • Conducting research
  • Interviewing or hiring staff

The B-1 visa should not be used for those who are running a business in the U.S., are gainfully employed by or paid by an organization within the U.S., are participating as a professional in entertainment or sporting events. These would be different types of work or employment visa, such as H-1B visas, O-1 visas, E-B2 visas or something similar.

To obtain a B-1 visa you must demonstrate:

  • The purpose of your trip is for a legitimate business need
  • You plan to remain for a limited period of time
  • You have funds to cover expenses for your trip in the United States
  • You have residence outside the United States which you will return to at the end of your visit
  • You are otherwise admissible to the United States
  • In some cases, for domestic servants or foreign airline employees, you may need employment authorization

The spouse and children of a B-1 visa holder are not allowed to obtain a dependent visa, each must apply separately for visas based on their needs.

The B-2 visa is also called a “Visitor for Pleasure” (ie Tourist) visa. Any person can apply for a B-2 visa without a U.S. sponsor. This visa is available to those who are looking to enter the U.S. for reasons of:

  • Tourism
  • Vacation (holiday)
  • Medical treatment
  • Participate in social events
  • Enroll in short recreational courses of study (ie: cooking classes)
  • Visit with friends or relatives

In general, the following documents will be required for a B-1 or B2 visa:

  • Passports valid for travel to the United States and for at least six months beyond your stay in the United States
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Sometimes you may need an Affidavit of Support
  • Your Photo

Depending upon your circumstances for applying for your visa, you may need to supply other information (ie. proof of medical diagnosis for medical treatment, proof of a round trip plane ticket, bank records, etc).

How to Get a B-1 or B-2 Visa

To start the process of obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visitor visa, contact Warren Law Firm to schedule a consultation. By preparing some of your necessary documents in advance, we can make the most of our consultation time.

Obtaining a visitor visa is usually fairly straight-forward, although involving several steps, and generally can be completed within a few weeks. Using an experienced immigration attorney, like Angela Warren, can help improve your chances of approval.

To take the first steps in obtaining a visitor visa, like a B-1 visa or B-2 visa, contact Warren Law Firm to schedule a consultation.

Request A Consultation

Meet The Attorney

Angela D. Warren

With more than 20 years of immigration and business immigration experience, Angela Warren has helped hundreds of individuals, families and businesses.

Main Services

Lawyers of Distinction
AVVO Rating (1)
Skip to content