(415) 362-2906

Warren Logo-04

Family Preference Visas & Immediate Relative Visas

Family Preference Visas & Immediate Relative Visas - Warren Law Firm

With 20 years of experience obtaining family visas, such as IR and Family Preference visas, San Francisco immigration attorney Angela Warren works with families from all around the world to find the right visa solution for their needs. We are proud to help keep families together. Our track record of success includes obtaining family visas for all types of people under differing circumstances, such as:

  • Parents sponsoring children
  • Siblings sponsoring siblings
  • Spouses sponsoring spouses

A San Francisco immigration attorney like Angela Warren can be a great advantage for people who want their family to live together in the San Francisco bay area legally by using a family visa.

About Family Visas – IR Visas, F1 Visas, F2A Visas and More

There are several types of visas that can apply as a “family visa” to help keep a family together despite an international move.

IR (Immediate Relative) Visas

For immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, IR visas are available to spouses, unmarried children under 21, adopted children, and parents of children who are at least 21 years old.

Family Preference Visas

These visas are reserved for non-immediate family relatives of U.S. citizens and / or Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR).

Family First Preference (F1) is for an unmarried adult (21 years old or older) who is the son or daughter of a U.S. citizen.
Family Second Preference (F2) is for spouses and unmarried children of a lawful permanent resident. The F2 category is divided into two sub-categories:

  • F2A for spouses and unmarried children under 21 years old
  • F2B for unmarried sons and daughters 21 years old and older

Family Third Preference (F3) is for married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children.
Family Fourth Preference (F4) is for brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and children. The U.S. citizen must be at least 21 years of age.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to get a family based green card for more distant relatives likes aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, cousins, in-laws and grandparents. For these relatives, it may be possible to get a visitor visa or an employment based visa based on their own merits.

There are limits to the number of visas available through the Family Preference visas; IR visas are unlimited. In general, the following documents will be required for a family visa:

  • Passports valid for 60 days (if available)
  • Affidavit of Support for the U.S. sponsor / petitioner
  • The Immigration Visa and Alien Registration Application
  • Two 2inch x 2inch photographs
  • Civil documents for the applicant such as birth or marriage certificates
  • Completed medical examination forms

How to Get a Family Visa

To start the process of obtaining a family visa, contact Warren Law Firm to schedule a consultation. By preparing some documents in advance, like the petitioner’s passport, we can make the most of our consultation time.

Obtaining a IR or Family Preference visa can vary in time depending on the circumstances. Using an experienced immigration attorney can help quicken the process and improve your chances of approval.

To take the first steps in obtaining a family visa, like an IR or Family Preference visa, contact Warren Law Firm to schedule a consultation.

Request A Consultation

Meet The Attorney

Angela D. Warren

With more than 20 years of immigration and business immigration experience, Angela Warren has helped hundreds of individuals, families and businesses.

Main Services

Lawyers of Distinction
AVVO Rating (1)
Skip to content