VAWA & Abused Persons Visas for Women, Men, Children & Parents

With 20 years of experience obtaining visas for people around the world, San Francisco immigration attorney Angela Warren works to find the right visa solution, especially for VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) visa applicants. Our track record of success for VAWA visas include all types of people and circumstances, including:

  • Men and women who were abused by their spouses
  • Parents who are abused by their children
  • Children abused by their parents

An experienced immigration attorney like Angela Warren can be a great advantage for battered spouses, children or parents who want to file for a visa for themselves, without the abuser’s knowledge. This visa allows safety and independence for both men and women from their abuser, who is never notified about the visa filing. With a VAWA visa, the victim can eventually obtain a green card and the right to permanently stay in the U.S. independent of their abuser.

About VAWA Visas (Violence Against Women Act Visa)

Available for Women, Men, Children and Parents. This visa allows a battered or emotionally abused spouse, child or parent to file an immigrant visa petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). VAWA allows certain spouses, children, step-children and parents of U.S. citizens and permanent residents (green card holders) to file a petition for themselves without the abuser’s knowledge to seek safety and independence from the abuser. Your abuser will not be notified that you have filed for immigration benefits under VAWA. The VAWA National Violence Hotline is 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 (TDD).

To qualify for an VAWA , these criteria must be met:

  • For a spouse, you must have been married or are still married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident abuser, OR
  • Your marriage to the abuser was terminated by death or a divorce related to the abuse within the 2 years prior to filing, OR
  • Your spouse lost or renounced citizenship or permanent resident status within the 2 years prior to filing due to an incident of domestic violence, OR
  • You believed that you were legally married to your abusive U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse but the marriage was not legitimate solely because of the bigamy of your abusive spouse.
  • You may also qualify if you have been abused by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse abroad while your spouse was employed by the U.S. government or a member of the U.S. uniformed services, OR
  • You are the parent of a child who has been subjected to abuse by your U.S. citizen or permanent spouse.
  • If you are a child or a spouse, read more about Eligibility Requirements.

U Visas – Available for Nonimmigrants

This category is set aside to provide immigration protection of victims of certain crimes who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse as a result of that crime and have assisted law enforcement and government officials in the investigation of the criminal activity. People who receive a U Visa are allowed to remain in the U.S. Eventually, successful U Visa applicants can receive a work permit and are allowed to eventually apply for a green card. Read more.

S Visas – Witnesses and Informants Assisting Federal or State Government Agencies.

The S Visa classification is granted to people who act as witnesses or as informants to federal or state government agencies. An S-5 or S-6 Visa can be granted to:

  • Individuals who possess critical and reliable information concerning criminal or terrorist organizations.
  • Foreign nationals who are S Visa holders are willing to share this information with federal or state authorities.
  • Individuals whose presence in the United States is critical to the success of a criminal investigation or prosecution.
  • Immediate family members of S visa holders who are also eligible to receive clearance.

You can be eligible for an S-5 Visa if:

  • You possess reliable information regarding a crime or the pending commission of a crime.
  • You are willing to share this information with law enforcement or testify in court.
  • Your presence is necessary to secure a successful investigation and/or prosecution of the case.
  • You can be eligible for an S-6 Visa if:
  • You possess reliable information regarding a terrorist organization or terrorist plot.
  • You are willing to share this information with law enforcement or testify in court.
  • You are eligible to receive an award from the State Department for providing the information.

How to Get a VAWA, U, S-6 or S-5 Visa

To start the process of obtaining a VAWA visa, contact Warren Law Firm for a free, brief phone consultation. Obtaining a VAWA visa can be a complicated, difficult and time-consuming process but using an experienced immigration attorney, like Angela Warren, can help improve your chances of approval.

To take the first steps in obtaining a VAWA visa, contact Warren Law Firm for a free, brief consultation.

Contact Us

Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.